Nothing shouts spring like a beautiful tulip! So many colors, so many shapes and sizes.
I have been painting a canvas inspired by the spring garden, full of tulips. So I thought I would share some tips I have found with my tulips:
How to Grow Tulips
* Select a range of early, mid, and late-season tulips.
* Tulip bulbs are planted in the autumn before the ground freezes.
* Plant your tulips in a sunny location; they won't grow well in shade.
*The location should have excellent drainage since wet soil are death to tulips.
* Allow the leaves to remain on the plants for about 6 weeks after flowering. The tulips need their foliage to gather energy for next year’s blooms!
* After the foliage turns yellow and dies back, it can be pruned off to clean up the spring garden.
And as always, don't forget to mulch often--this adds nutrients and moisture to the soil. Soil is the key ingredient to a healthy garden and happy tulips.
"The Old Watering Can" Mixed media painting on upcycled canvas. 36” x 24” Artist RH Zondag